Thursday, July 2, 2009

In other news...

Last week I came to the conclusion that I wanted to get a Masters degree in Agricultural policy. What the hell?! It took me completely by surprise. Well, almost...I've seen it sneaking around my peripheral vision for awhile now. Anyway, it's the first time the idea of something felt just as 'right' for me as it did when I decided to go to art school. I've been waiting for almost two years to find some sort of forward momentum and I'm incredibly excited about it.

The idea is still young and I'm sorting out the details. It's like a newborn baby where it's all crazy looking and scary but you love it because it's obviously a part of you and has this amazing potential. Haha or maybe that's just my reaction to newborns? I may not even need a degree for what I want to do, I just know what I want to achieve, so I'll have to start there and work backwards.

I don't want to be a farmer, not professionally. And I don't want to sit in a government office writing policy and selling my soul to large agro-industrials and their monoculture planting systems. I am very interested in working within my state, improving its allocation of resources and helping both the struggling small and mid-sized farmers and the under-serviced inner city. I have all these great ideas in my head and so many things I want to do that it's deliciously daunting. I can't even remember the last time I've actually been passionate about my work.

There's so much more involved, but I'd end up writing an essay if I got into it. Anyway, I'm happy and we'll see where this goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment